Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hi I'm back from OBS. The annoying thing was that I had a few songs stuck in my head that kept playing every time I tried to focus, which sucks. Anyway. OBS.

The highlights were high elements, kayaking and trekking.

High Elements:
Wasn't all that fun. So anyway I got stuck halfway up, not because of fear, because by then I wasn't scared anymore, but because my arms stiffened -.-. Pretty sure if they allowed us to use the wire at the side I would have had no problem.... Anyway, Huakai's side had it easier, which is why he was able to reach the top.

Kayaking:
On the second day after high elements we learned how to kayak, for those who didn't know, and kayaked from camp 1 to camp 2. We were told it was 1.5km. I was not able to verify this information. This was the easy part.
On the night we spent at camp 2, Huakai, Yaoqing, Jerome and me were chosen to be the leaders of the sea expedition team. So we sat down for awhile, planned and everything. We kayaked 12km around ubin(the long way) to reach Campsite 3. I took the single kayak this time, which turned out to not be such a good idea. After crossing Chek Jawa, the waves became !@#@$#%$^%^&* and my kayak kept getting blown towards shore by the wind while the waves underneath turned it right. This resulted in me being unable to stay in formation and honestly I felt like just sitting there and giving up. Obviously being me, I didn't, because....I'm me. And also because I would end up nowhere if I did. Anyway we made it to campsite a little earlier than expected, which was awesome. Even though campsite 3 had the lousiest "facilities", I had the most fun there, mostly because we were so close to nature. It really felt like an adventure. Shitting in a hole in the middle of a bunch of trees has to be one of the coolest experiences ever. Also because we had a lot of spare time and also the ground was comfortable cold so that actually, sleeping at that campsite was the best. Also, we slept through sentry duty. Just because my shirt says Security doesn't mean I am.

Trekking:
Night over, wake up in the morning. Fresh air, hustle and bustle. We now need to hike from camp 3 to camp 1. I look at the map. Okay, it's about 2-3km. Then we are told we have to hike to checkpoint one first, then possibly to other checkpoints and then to camp 1. Okay, not so bad. I look at the MGR of checkpoint one: eastern tip of Pulau Ubin. Camp 1 is at the western tip. !@##$%^&. Anyway we set off for the first checkpoint at about 9.20am and reach it at around 12pm. Slow pace, since it's only 7.28km. After lunch we are told we have very little time left, so the other checkpoints are cancelled and we head straight for camp 1. Our target is to reach it at 4.30. The distance is probably 13-15km, by my estimate. We set off at 1.55pm and set a brutal pace. We overtake 4 groups on the way, 2 of which I think left 1 hour before us. We reach the campsite at 4.42pm. Fun.

After the trekking thing, our group just got closer and everything. So the next day everyone was feeling like family. Pek Khoon objects but I do feel like she was a mother figure to the group.

Anyway, OBS was fun. I'm both glad and not so that it was over. I'm glad because the activities are so tiring and despite being outdoorsy I do not enjoy sleeping in a tent on cold hard ground every night. I am not so glad because it was actually quite fun spending time with everyone in the group. Anyway I did get stronger after OBS, as I expected, but no, I did not gain much weight, which is amazing. I was 57.2/3 kg before OBS and after OBS I'm now 57.5kg. I'm now closer to getting max points for NAPFA, which by the way was what I was thinking of when doing jetty jump.

Revelations, I guess I didn't really have any revelations. OBS just reaffirmed the beliefs I had, which, if you're interested, are as follows:
Believe in yourself
Pain is all in the mind
Limits are restrictions you put on yourself.
Never (gonna) give (you) up.  Subtle rickroll ftw.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
When in doubt, just wing it.
And something I learned watching Monty Python: Adopt, Adapt and Improve.

Oh yeah there is one other thing I learned.
When in deep shit, shut the fuck up. Reworded to suit this blog.
Glimpsed from a story told by our instructor Pei Lee.

Speaking of which, OBS instructors can tell very lame stories. Very. Lame. But, as Huakai would say, "quite cute la hor."

Anyway Pei Lee if you're somehow reading this, we can't find you on facebook.

Tock Seng Watch if you're reading this, do remember that I am immortal fruit, and not a banana.

No comments: