Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Back.

It's been 160 days, or 5 months 7 days, since I last posted, and I just wanted to begin by apologising for not updating, for anyone who's been coming back to this blog over the past 5 months expecting something to read. It's an age where people hardly have blogs anymore, and the relevance of blogs is (I feel) starting to(or maybe already has) decline. For someone living in Singapore, whose friends and family, and almost everyone I know, live in Singapore, it's just not that necessary to have a blog. Despite this, I feel a strange obligation (I've said this many times) to update my blog from time to time. It's even less relevant for me because I don't even post about what happens in my life all that often. Still, I don't have twitter or instagram, and I hardly share/post anything on facebook, so I guess it's through my blog that anyone even knows what I think or want to say occasionally, since I don't talk that much in real life anyway. Unless around certain people or certain alcoholic beverages. But that's a different story.

Anyway, I normally don't post much about what's going in my life, but....meh. Last you guys heard(read?) from me on this blog, I was enlisting and for all you know after that I just died or went to Nigeria or something. No offense to Nigeria. Beautiful place. Less the 419 scammers. And I guess the poverty. And crime. Okay not that beautiful a place, but that's besides the point.

So I enlisted. I was posted to 4th Coy in BMTC School 4. My BMT experience was just like any other, tekan, then lots of funny nonsense. And fucked-up people. Can't miss those out. As I learnt in the next few months, they're everywhere. For the last few weeks in BMT I really wanted to be posted out as a driver, because frankly after field camp, I realised that I really hated the feeling of having camo on my face. Like, a lot. I don't mind going outfield, as long as I don't have camo on my face. And being a driver was basically one of the slackest things you could do, and you get a chance to get a license in the process. Awesome. However, to be a driver, you have to pretty much opt to not go to command school, i.e. SCS and OCS. And the risk of becoming an infantry man was just too much, so in the end I opted to go to SCS, because if you're gonna be in infantry, might as well be a commander. Better life. Why not OCS? Because Scorpion King and Centipede, that's why. Ask the OCS people about it. And you know what, since I opted to not go for OCS even if I qualified, I still don't know whether I did qualify for OCS. I made an educated guess, but with the SAF you never know.

In SCS, I was posted to Charlie Coy, which ended up being a good deal, because despite being less slack than Bravo and Delta, it's still SCS. We slack. Lol. 8 weeks at Charlie. It was pretty fun, again, lots of funny nonsense. For the entirety of the last few weeks, I was basically completely sure I was going to Military Police, despite all the rumours (and one blatant lie from the CO) that there was no intake for our batch, that even if there was it wouldn't be me, blah blah blah. Posting day was intense. Some screw up at HQ delayed our posting orders so we just sat there for 4 hours waiting. When my name was finally called (our coy decided to drama a bit and say the names first, then posting, whereas almost every other coy said posting first, then started calling out names), it was with a bunch of people who didn't look like they would be going to MP. Then they called the 2 people who signed on to MP (and as a result were definitely going there), and we were with them. We literally shouted and jumped around for joy. Then got knocked down because they were trying to tell us something and this was the only way to shut us up. But lulz.

And here I am now, posted to MP Command as a specialist-to-be. I'm in my 5th week here, with, inclusive of this week, 8 weeks more to go. MP is awesome, and I really couldn't ask for anything more. Except maybe to not serve NS. Barring that, post me to MWDU pl0x?

I've heard people talk about how army is a life-changer, or how they really learned a lot about themselves from the army and stuff like that. I don't really feel like I've learnt all that much about myself from being in the army, and I certainly don't feel like my life has changed all that much. I mean, getting the opportunity to shoot rifles, fire grenades and stuff is damn cool, no doubt, but it's not a life-changer. You won't fire off a grenade launcher and go "Damn, I see the light now". Unless by "the light" you mean the explosion from the grenade. Or unless you are that kind of person. In which case, good for you. Grenade launcher enlightenment.

But it is a fun experience. I'll update more when I can more accurately verbalise the random thoughts flying around in my head now. And I promise it won't take me 5 months.

Random Vid:



No comments: