So my dreams keep getting weirder and weirder. But maybe it's the fever.
Anyway, combo-broke my health streak, so down with the flu, after a few months. And before that it was like a year or something. Symptoms are fever, sore throat, occasional blocked nose, lethargy and sometimes general confusion. Sucks. These few days I'll probably appear dazed and confused so if I behave strangely or anything do ignore it kthx.
Saw someone's facebook status and it triggered my memory about a post I was gonna write a while back. Then again I may have posted about this topic before, but I can't remember it now. If I have just bear with me.
So it's safe to say that almost 100% of my readers are students? In view of that, here's a question: why are you in school? I don't feel like our generation thinks about this enough. Why are you in school? For the certificate? Because there's nothing else you can do so far? I don't feel like you can properly study and learn unless you can answer that question. If you don't know why you're in school, how would you motivate yourself to study.
I'm talking about this because most people I see just seem to go through school in a daze and shit. My idea of education is to learn how to learn, not to memorise stuff. Granted, the school doesn't really do that a lot(which does put a damper on my attitude towards school), but I do still try to go to school for that purpose. I don't think it's right to go to school expecting to be given information and then just absorbing that information. You don't need to go to school for that. You have Google and textbooks. I think the point of school is, in the words of an overused analogy, to teach you how to fish, rather than to give you fish. In view of that then, what is YOUR purpose for going to school? I don't know if this is accurate, but I'm guessing that many of you are doing this just to get the certificate at the end of your JC/Uni life. But then again, so what if you get that cert? If all you did was memorise a whole bunch of stuff to obtain that cert, without really picking up all those other essential skills on the way, what use are you to anyone? The certificate, when people came up with that idea, was supposed to represent the fact that the bearer of that certificate has been through education, and has all those skills that they're supposed to have. But I feel that more and more, students have been neglecting those skills. Rather than learning how to learn, we've become more focused on remembering certain things just to get that A in an exam, and then we forget it after the exam. It may not be our fault - after all, schools have become more focused on these things as well, all for the sake of competition, but what sort of impact does this have on future generations? Will we have a generation of people who only know how to regurgitate information? Who cannot innovate, or cannot learn on their own? Time will tell.
To add on, I don't feel like it's wrong or anything to be aiming for that cert at the end of school life. It's just, how you're getting that cert. Although personally I can't stand studying any more. It's getting very boring. Sure, the Uni cert gets you a job with more money, but do you really want/need all that money? I have been told that my current belief that I would not strongly desire to be affluent in the future will prove to be erroneous, but I think it'll stick.
No comments:
Post a Comment